Do you start out groggy in the morning, hit a slump before lunch or go brain dead in the afternoon?
There is a pretty good chance that your breakfast, lunch and snacking habits aren’t providing you with enough of the essential nutrients your body needs.
For people on the go, a smoothie is a great way to get that extra boost of energy necessary to keep you going. If you want to really get buzzing, a bee pollen smoothie is like going turbo.
We’ll take a look at smoothies in general as well as several smoothie recipes that include bee pollen.
Are Smoothies Good for Your Health and Weight loss?
Whether or not a smoothie is good for your health and effective for weight loss depends a lot upon what ingredients you put in it.
Smoothies are certainly better than processed energy drinks and diet shakes, but for weight loss and overall health, there are a few pointers to keep in mind. “When you learn about the ingredients that create a balanced smoothie, you will be able to include a good balance of protein, complex carbohydrates, healthy fats, as well as vitamins and nutrients,” says Ryan Carmody in an article for Healthy Smoothie Headquarters. (1)
Your smoothie certainly has to be low cal, but when thinking low cal, you can’t eliminate all of the essential nutrients which provide energy and proper body function. If you do that, then you not only run out of gas, but you start craving foods that you shouldn’t and then you end up blowing your diet.
But how do you make a smoothie?
How Do You Make a Smoothie?
Making a smoothie really isn’t all that difficult. It’s a process that involves a little bit of preparation and planning ahead, but as long as you’re prepared making a smoothie takes all of about five minutes or less. Here is a brief step by step process:
- Choose your fruit and/or vegetables. It is best if you freeze your fruit so that you can completely eliminate or reduce the need for adding ice. Do add vegetables, especially green leafy ones.
- Add liquid and/or dairy. Coconut milk, almond milk, green tea and others are all healthy substitutes for milk and provide unique flavors. You can also add Greek yogurt or kefir.
- Add your seeds, nuts and seasonings. Nuts and seeds tend to add extra protein to your smoothie and cost you few calories. Seasonings go with tastes, but experiment with various spices that can help give you a healthy boost.
- Add a little sweetness. Most fruits have some natural sweetness, but if you need a little extra, add some raw honey, unprocessed maple syrup or Stevia.
- Add ice and blend. If you froze your fruit, you won’t need as much or maybe any ice.
What Are the Health Benefits of Bee Pollen?
There are a ton of health benefits that can be had from bee pollen. It has more amino acids and protein than equal weights of any other food, but its benefits continue well beyond that.(2) “In fact, there are more than 250 useful substances found in bee pollen which have therapeutic and wellness benefits,” according to Recover Your Health Today.(3) Let’s take a look at some of those benefits:
- Helps to inhibit the growth of certain harmful bacteria in your gut in order to improve digestive health.
- Helps regulate blood sugar and cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Decreased cancer risk and reduces tumor development.
- Promotes fertility.
- Can be used in the treatment of allergies.
- Provides an energy boost.
- Helps stabilize chemical and blood sugar imbalances which often frustrate weight loss efforts.
The list continues to grow as more and more research reveals the super benefits of this super-food. With so many potential benefits to your health, why wouldn’t you want to add it to your smoothie?
Smoothie Recipes With Bee Pollen
Blue Bee Bliss
(recipe is from Healthy Smoothie Headquarters,(4)
The addition of blueberries not only gives this smoothie a unique flavor, but blueberries also have an anti-inflammatory effect.
This is a great breakfast smoothie to start of your day with plenty of energy.
- 1 cup of milk ( you can use almond, coconut milk instead)
- 1 cup blueberries (frozen)
- 1/2 medium banana
- 1 Tbsp bee pollen
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- A little bit of raw honey
- Assemble and add all of the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
Bee Pollen, Bananas and Dates
(recipe from The Telegraph, (5)
Bananas and dates have a wonderful flavor when blended together and dates tend to help maintain a better sodium to water ratio in your body.
This smoothie makes a great mid-morning snack to keep you going until lunch.
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 1 peeled banana
- ½ tsp of bee pollen
- 1 tsp of raw honey
- 2 pitted dates
- 2 tsp of sesame seeds (or substitute your favorite seeds here)
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
- Peel the banana, pit the dates and add them to your blender. Add the other ingredients, a handful of ice cubes if you like, and blend until smooth.
Fruit, Greens and Bee Pollen
The unique ingredients of spinach and zucchini in this smoothie are its highlight. Spinach gives you a boost of iron, which your body desperately needs to keep your energy up.
With all of the foods and nutrient contained in this smoothie, you can consider drinking this in place of lunch or dinner.
- 1/2 cup of frozen strawberries
- 1 peeled peach
- 1/2 cup of chopped spinach
- 1/4 cup of chopped zucchini
- 2 Tbsp of hemp seeds
- 1 Tbsp of raw honey
- 1 tsp of bee pollen
- 2 cups water or green tea
- 1/2 cup of ice
- If you add green tea, you will need to prepare it before adding it to the other ingredients and blending. If your strawberries are not frozen, you might need more ice.
Bee Pollen, Bananas and Mango
This smoothie is especially helpful for women who need a little hormonal help whether from PMS or menopause. Bee Pollen as well as Hemp, Maca and Cacao (Chocolate) rapidly balance women’s hormonal systems.
You can drink this smoothie as an afternoon pick-me-up and it can be especially helpful in the treatment of allergies and in preventing bone loss.
- 1 peeled banana
- 1 cup of chopped, frozen mango
- 3 Tbsp hemp hearts (replace with maca or cacao if desired)
- 1 tsp of bee pollen added ¼ tsp at a time
- 2 cups water or green tea
- Brew green tea and peel the banana before adding the list of ingredients to your blender and blending until smooth.
(recipe is from Bee Pollen Buzz, (6)
Whether it is the holiday season or not, you can enjoy this powerful smoothie with the flavor of celebration.
This smoothie can be great at the end of the day or to start your day. You might also try one or several of the other smoothie recipes with bee pollen at Bee Pollen Buzz.(6)
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 Tbsp of raw honey
- 2 cups cold milk, rice milk, or soy milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp of bee pollen
- A dash of nutmeg
- Beat the two eggs before adding them into your blender along with the other ingredients, saving the nutmeg. Blend until smooth and sprinkle a dash of nutmeg over the top.
Smoothies, in general, can help give you the much needed energy and nutrient boost to keep you going throughout the day, but to really get buzzing, the addition of bee pollen can have enormous benefits for your particular health conditions, help you lose weight and assist in your overall wellness.
Here is what you need to do:
Find the best combination of ingredients that you enjoy and that are also helpful in achieving your goal and add them to your smoothie.
Add 1 tsp to 2 Tbsp of bee pollen into your favorite smoothies.
Commit to making bee pollen smoothies an integral part of your diet and fitness regimen.
[accordion title=”References” load=”hide”]